New S7 Level 1 Complete Course featuring the S7-1200, S7-1500, and TIA Portal / Step 7, is now available!
Designed for those with some PLC experience, our new S7 Level 1 PLC course (S7-1200 and 1500) is now in Early Access, available to student to purchase while the course is being actively filmed! Get up to speed on the world's most popular line of Programmable Controllers.
Whether you've used Allen-Bradley, Mitsubishi, Wago, Phoenix Contact, IFM, Automation Direct, or another PLC, our S7 course will help you make the transition to TIA Portal and Step 7 by first introducing you to the hardware and software, and then walking you through creating, testing, and troubleshooting dozens of practical code examples used in real world applications.
Who should take this course:
Anyone who has some PLC experience (those who already understand the basics of ladder logic, as well as the difference between bits and bytes) and would like to learn how to setup, program, and troubleshoot the Siemens S7-1500 and S7-1200 line of Programmable Controllers.
Note: Students who have no PLC experience should consider taking our affordable PLC Basics course prior to taking this course.
Requirements to take course:
After purchasing this online course you will need internet access to take the course lessons and quizzes.
Those who would also like to complete any optional exercises should first review Lesson 1.02 in which we detail many low cost hardware and software options available to students.
Note: Students do not have to complete exercises to complete the course, as not all students will have access to the same hardware and software. That said, we do show students how to get access to a free, 21 day trial edition of the PLC programming and simulation software in Lesson 3.10. For more information, please review Lesson 1.02.
Course Release Status, Updated 08-12-22:
Below are all the released lessons currently available:
- Lesson 1.00-V: S7 Course Intro – Released 01-31
- Lesson 1.01-V: Topics Covered – Released 01-31
- Lesson 1.02-V: Following Along – Released 01-31
- Lesson 1.03-V: New & Updated – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.01: Vital Manuals and Documents – Released 02-03
- Lesson 2.10A-V: S7-1500 Overview – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.12A-V: S7-1500 Details – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.14A-V: S7-1500 Tour * – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.10B-V: S7-1200 Overview – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.12B-V: S7-1200 Details – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.14B-V: S7-1200 Tour * – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.20-V: Distributed IO – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.30: Component Selection – Released 02-03
- Lesson 2.50-V: CPU Memory – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.51-V: Data Blocks, Types, Tags – Released 01-31
- Lesson 2.52-V: Programs, Modes, Execution – Released 01-31
- Lesson 3.10-B: TIA Portal 21 Day Trial – Released 02-07
- Lesson 3.20-V: Automation License Manager – Released 02-09
- Lesson 3.21-V: Remaining Trial Days – Released 03-25
- Lesson 3.30-V: Intro to TIA Portal – Released 02-16
- Lesson 4.10C-V: Identify CPU Model, IP Address and Firmware – Released 02-28
- Lesson 4.20C-V: Download and Update CPU Firmware – Released 03-02
- Lesson 4.30C-V: Reset CPU Memory, and Resetting to Factory Defaults- Released 02-23
- Lesson 5.10A-V: Add, Test, and Force S7-1500 IO – Released 03-08
- Lesson 5.10B-V: Add, Test, and Force S7-1200 IO – Released 03-09
- Lesson 6.01-V: IEC-61131, Program 1 Details – Released 03-14
- Lesson 6.10-V: Create, Load, Test First Program (P1) – Released 03-18
- Lesson 6.11-V: Load and Test with PLCSim – Release 04-04
- Lesson 6.20-V: Boolean Logic (P2) – Release 04-04
- Lesson 7.10-V: Transition, Latch – Released 04-13
- Lesson 7.20-V: Set, Reset, Edge Detection – Released 04-13
- Lesson 7.30-V: Toggle – Released 04-13
- Lesson 8.10-V: First Scan, Clock Bits – Released 04-13
- Lesson 9.10-V: Motor Control – Released 04-14
- Lesson 9.20-V: Permissives – Released 04-27
- Lesson 10.10-V: IEC 61131-3 Timers – Released 06-24
- Lesson 10.20-V: TON On Delay – Released 06-24
- Lesson 10.22-V: TON Extra Credit – Released 06-24
- Lesson 10.30-V: TOF Off Delay – Released 06-24
- Lesson 10.40-V: TONR Time Accumulator – Released 06-30
- Lesson 10.50-V: Memory Reserve, HMI Start, Etc. – Released 07-06
- Lesson 11.20-V: Counters, Count Up – Released 07-27
- Lesson 11.30-V: Count Down, Up Down – Released 07-27
- Lesson 12.20-V: PLC Time – Released 08-04
- Lesson 13.20-V: Program Control – Released 08-04
- Lesson 14.20-V: Automatic Mode – Released 08-12
- Lesson 14.30-V: Maintenance Mode – Released 08-12
- Lesson 15.20-V: Move & User Data Types – Released 08-12
- Lesson 16.20-V: Math and Comparisons – Released 08-12
- … For information on “planned future lessons,” see the next section below labeled “Future Lessons.”
- Appendix E: S7-1500 Starter Pack Unboxing – Released 02-03
- Appendix F: S7-1200 Starter Pack Unboxing – Released 02-03
- Bonus 01: Siemens Online Support – Released 01-31
- Bonus 02: S7-1200 Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 03: S7-1500 Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 04: DIO Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 05: TIA Portal v17 Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 06: View of Things Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 07: PROFINET Interview – Released 01-31
- Bonus 08: PROFINET International – Released 01-31
Below is a list of future lessons the we expect to add in the coming months.
Note: The system currently lists these planned lessons with a fictional release date of 9/9/9999.
- Lesson 2.22-V: DIO Tour – Future Planned Lesson
- Lesson 5.20-V: Add, Test, Force DIO – Future Planned Lesson
- Lesson 16.xx-V: Calculate SCL – Future Planned Lesson
- Lesson 17.xx-V: Troubleshooting – Future Planned Lesson
- Appendix A: All Download Links – Future Planned Lesson
- Appendix B: Find Local Siemens Rep – Future Planned Lesson
- Appendix C: Creating a Windows 10 VM in Virtual PC – Future Planned Lesson
- Appendix D: Creating a Windows 10 VM in VMware – Future Planned Lesson
- Bonus 09: Motion Control Capabilities of S7 CPUs – Future Planned Bonus