For the most up-to-date course details, please visit the course page HERE
What You'll Learn and Receive
What You'll Receive With Your Purchase
Learn to confidently setup, program, and troubleshoot ControlLogix PACs with PAC Basics Extended Edition
You don't need to spend thousands of dollars and several days in a classroom to learn how to use, program, and troubleshoot Allen-Bradley's ControlLogix Programmable Controllers. All you need is some basic PLC knowledge, a Windows PC, and our affordable PAC Basics Online Course.
PAC Basics is the perfect online course for electricians, technicians, and engineers who understand the difference between a bit, byte and word, and can read basic ladder logic, and now want to learn to setup, program, and troubleshoot Allen-Bradley's line of ControlLogix programmable controllers.
Taught by a factory certified PLC specialist with over thirty years of experience, and has used every ControlLogix controller released, this course you will learn everything you need to know to get started using Rockwell's ControlLogix Programmable Automation Controllers with confidence.
Unlike other vendor's courses that only become available after you purchase their expensive hardware or trainers, our PAC Basics courses doesn't require you to purchase any additional parts as we show you how to get a thirty day trail copy of Allen-Bradley's PAC Programming and Emulation software, Studio 5000 and Emulate 5000, to use with this course.
And for those who'd prefer to learn with a physical ControlLogix, we also cover which Controllers and Cables work best and why, as well as how to set them up and program them. We even provide you with an overview of every ControlLogix controller, detailed step by step instructions on how to connect to each, and a list of components and devices used to build the affordable, homemade PLC trainer we use in this course.
Unlike other companies whose job is done once the sale is complete, we're committed to your success and actively encourage students to post questions in the lesson discussion area. Our expert instructors visit The Automation School each weekday to support and answer student questions.
We also invite you to come back and retake any lesson as the need arises, which is made possible by the fact that none of our course come with an expiration date.
And when you finish your course and pass all the quizzes, you'll also be rewarded with an official Completion Certificate from from The Automation School that lists the Professional Development Hours you've earned by completing all of the course content.
Standard Edition Topics:
Below is a summary of the topics covered, and a complete lesson listing is also available in a following section:
- Design of the System and Components
- ControlLogix Controller Anatomy
- Manuals and Documentation
- Software Packages and Versions
- RSLogix 5000 vs Studio 5000
- RSLogix and Studio 5000 First Look
- Controller Properties
- Tasks, Programs, Routines, Tags
- Ethernet and ControlNet Addressing
- How to setup RSLinx Classic Drivers
- Flashing Controller and Module Firmware
- Adding Local, Ethernet, and ControlNet I/O
- Testing and Troubleshooting I/O Config
- Controller and Program Tags
- How Ladder Logic Diagrams (LD) differ in ControlLogix
- Creating a Motor Control Ladder Routine
- Using Photo Eyes for Part Sensing (LD)
- How Function Block (FBD) Routines work
- Create a Machine Runtime FBD Routine
- How User Defined Data Types (UDT) work
- Create and use UDTs in Part Counting
- Who should take this course:
Extended Edition Topics:
- How Structured Text (ST) Routines work
- Calculate Scrap Ratios using ST Routine
- Sequential Function Chart (SFC) Routines
- Part Count, Copy, Reset Routine using SFC
- Changing a Project's Version
- Duplicating and Re-using Code
- How Add-on Instructions (AOI) work
- Create, Download, and Use AOIs
- Using PlantPAx Objects AOIs
- Using Produced and Consumed Tags
- Messaging ControlLogix Controllers
- Messaging Controllers over DF1
- Messaging Controllers over DH+
- Messaging Controllers over Ethernet
- Bonus: Legacy PLC Comm Setup
- PowerFlex VFD Integration
- Using LD and VFDs for Motor Control
- Using FBD for VFD Motor Control
- Controlling VFDs over Ethernet
- Who Should Take This Course:
Who should take this course:
Anyone who has some PLC experience and would like to learn how to setup, program, and troubleshoot the Allen-Bradley ControlLogix line of Programmable Automation Controllers.
Shortly after earning a degree in Electronics, Shawn Tierney spent twenty five years working in the field as a Rockwell Automation authorized distributor specialist helping countless Engineers and Electricians learn how to select, setup, program, and troubleshoot Allen-Bradley industrial automation controls.
During his time as a specialist, Shawn attended over fifty weeks of Rockwell training and gained his certification as a Rockwell Automation Specialist and Information Software Specialist, and graduated from Rockwell's STPA Certification program with the highest recorded score.
During that time Shawn also earned his Microsoft Certifications in Server and Desktop Operating Systems, becoming a Microsoft Certified Professional.
Shawn left his job as an Automation Specialist in 2015 to focus on sharing everyting he's learned in affordable, self-paced courses at TheAutomationSchool.com
Student review: ““The instructor has a vast knowledge of the system in question and provides excellent use of visual aids and stories from the field combined with a review of technical documents and the equipment in question. As a professional, I value this is the type of education and training that will help you do a better job in your career while educating you on various aspects of the platform in question and the product's history. Well Done Shawn” – J.H.
Student review: “This course has lots of insider information gleaned from many years of working ‘in the trenches' – very valuable when trying to avoid pitfalls of incompatibility or non-compliance to best practices.” – P.D.
Student review: “This course rocks. Its loaded with useful content where other courses fall short. Thanks Shawn. I will be looking for other courses you offer in the future.” – A.C.
Student review: “Great attention to important details. Step by Step right teaching approach from simple to more complicated to the most complicated.” – G.D.
Optional USB Bundle Details: Lesson Videos Available Offline via Secure USB 3.0 Drive
Take your course lesson videos on the go with you by bundling in a Personalize, Secure USB from The Automation School.
Our high-speed secure USB Flash Drives include the following features:
- Includes all course lesson videos available as of Summer, 2022
- Note: Watching USB lessons does not progress student through online course***
- Works with Windows and MAC computers with a USB port
- Supports High Speed USB 3.0 interface to enhance lesson playback
- No third party application required, no software to install
- Windows and MAC Video player embedded on drive
- Cannot be written to, copied, or erased by accident
- Tailored and licensed to a single individual, including custom password*
- Free annual updates when available.**
* Our courses are licensed for individual use, and are not authorized to be used by more than one person. This means our online, disc, and USB course materials are licensed to a single individual, and may not be shared with non-licensed persons, or played for groups or classrooms without our express written consent
** Students who wish to have new or updated lessons added to their flash drive can send it in once per year to be updated at no charge, however students are required to include a self-addressed stamped return envelope.
*** Students who watch lessons on the Secure USB Flash Drive are not progressed through the associated online course, and will not unlock the completion certificate without completing the course online. Also note that all questions, quizzes, and completion certificates are only available online.
**** USB Course Flash Drives may not be purchased separately from our online courses. Existing students who'd like to obtain USB Drives for online courses thet are already enrolled in are encouraged to contact us directly about upgrading.
***** We can only provide one flash drive per enrollee, per course. We also cannot replace lost flash drives.